Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Middle One

There are times when the firsts get taken by the first. All the excitement and joy and celebration seem to be heightened the first time around. The praise not as thick as it was for round one.
But you are here too. Full of firsts. Full of things that need to be praised.

Being a middle child myself I wanted to make sure you didn’t feel the middle child.


I worried when I was pregnant with you how I would love you as much as I love your brother. Then you came into my life and they laid you on my chest; sticky, red, and perfect. I took in your face and all that you were made of and sighed a huge sigh of relief that you were here and 100% healthy. You were an answer to our prayers and restored more joy into my heart than you will ever know.

Right then I knew there was no question. I don’t love you as much. I don’t love you the same. I love you for every single bit of human you are. Just you, for you. I love you different. I love you with a love that is full and can only be for you. I love you Waylon.



Your laugh is loud and unmistakable.

You make awesome faces.

And have a personality that I could never fully describe enough to do it justice.

The gun sounds you make with your mouth are perfect and adorable.

You are funny and shy and you talk a lot when you are comfortable.

You are so much like your dad it isn’t funny.

You are an amazing person, but you only show certain people all of what you are made of.

When I picture you in my mind I picture you running from me. Watching you run from the back is something that makes every single bit of me smile. Your run encompasses your personality to me. Silly, strong, arms swinging, fists tightened, shoulders to your ears, and knees barely lifting. You lower your head and run with force and always with a fierce expression.

I love your smile and the way you find things funny.


You always seem older to me than what you are.

You love your brothers just like brothers love. You are there to protect them but at the same time knock them out on your own account.



You are sensitive but strong.

You love babies and sometimes like to act like one.

You like sweets and and stealing my gum.

Old time country music as much as you like rock. 

You want to cuddle but you get hot easy.

You always have to have a kiss AND a hug when saying goodbye or goodnight.


You started school this week. Just two days a week and only half days, but you are all about it. You actually want more of it. You always keep me on my toes. I never know when your shy is going to kick in versus when your strength is going to shine.


You surprise me time and time again.

Begging to go to a Chiefs game just barely three years old and loving every minute of it.



Begging to go on your first camp out away from home and with people you don’t spend a lot of time with, but you rocked it.

Getting up during our new routine and actually getting yourself dressed perfectly and without help.

Walking up that sidewalk, turning for a picture, and making your way through the door wanting nothing but a hug from me and to scoot me out the door on your first day of preschool.


You’re awesome, Waylon. My rock star!


 Who cusses way too much, hits, fights, whines, laughs, tickles, snuggles, likes to be left alone, eats veggies over meat, and tomatoes like apples, you like the smell of stinky feet way too much, you have too many bruises, and like to talk about poop, and call us mean, you will wear your rain boots, Hulk crocs, flip flops, and cowboy boots over your "fast shoes" any day, and you want to know the reason behind everything especially why old women smoke because you really don't like old women that smoke, except Grandma.



You’re hard headed, and beautiful, and strong. I could kiss your face a million times and it still wouldn’t be enough for me. You frustrate the hell out of me, but I couldn't love your spirit and personality anymore.  I wouldn't change a thing about you.  You're the best fire hat, swim goggle, and sun glass wearin kid around.  You make me love your childhood and wish it would go slower so I could learn deeper each day just how to squeeze the joy out like you do.  I love you so much, Nayners! 



And in your big brother's words, "That Waylon is one powerful man!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails