Thursday, July 19, 2012

Smashed it! My 2nd 5k

I awoke early and nervous.  I visualized what I would do at the starting line.  Why was I getting so intense with this? 

I felt good.  My legs rested.  But, I couldn't shake this nervous feeling.

I grabbed a quick bite to eat, stepped out on my deck to see how awesome it felt outside.  The perfect time to run, early in the morning when the fog is still lifting and there is the slightest bit of dew on the grass.  The air feels crisp on your shoulders.  There is no better time to run in my opinion. 


I threw my shoes on and headed out the door.  28 minutes is what I was shooting for.  It seemed like that race was never going to start.  Watching a handful of "real" runners warm up along the road didn't help shake that nervous feeling in my gut.  I'm not really sure just how much stretching your hamstrings is too much but I'm sure I got close to the healthy limit.   



This race was special to me in a more personal way than my first 5k.  My high school coach was there along with a few other people that I grew up with.  This race was held in my hometown honoring a kid that died in an ATV accident and rocked our community to the core.  Many of the people I ran with were pretty close to him.  The red head on my right above has a little sister that was best friends with this kid.  The race is pretty meaningful to their family.  I pass his memorial every time I drive to my parent's house and there isn't a time that goes by that I don't think about how quickly life changes.




My Father-in-law fell from his semi truck almost 2 years ago and sustained similar injuries as Kirk, the boy we honored, I chose to run for him. 

These girls?  Two of some of my best friends.  The one in the middle, I grew up with her.  She was at my house riding four wheelers when we were in third grade and we have stuck together in the same group of people since we realized what groups of friends were all about.  I'm so proud of her triathlete self.  I'd never thought she'd be doing what she's doing.  Love her.

The other one, the red head?  If I had to describe her using one word it would be strength without hesitation.  Our relationship started with running and went into softball and runs much, much deeper.  I love this girl to death and she inspires me to be a better person every stinkin day.  She's a friend that I can catch up with wherever we left off and I keep finding that my love for this girl never fades.

Thank you, ladies for agreeing to go out and get this one.  We set our goal, pushed each other, and did what we showed up to do. 


We started out well, coasted as much as possible during the 2nd mile, and pushed with what was left for the 3rd.  I was shooting for 28 with hopes of smashing it and that is exactly what I did.  I wish now I would have pushed harder in the 2nd mile.  26.46 was my finishing time with my girls close behind me. 

I can't explain how good I felt.  My legs fresh and my breathing strong.  There was one time  at about the 2.5 mile mark where my emotions about got the best of me.  I wasn't hurting.  I was allowing myself to take in the experience and quickly found it wasn't going to be beneficial to my goal.  I took it in, took a deep breath and pushed harder.  I had too much left.  I wasn't even sore the next day, which only fuels my fire to get better and push my next goal. 

I'm addicted.  I can't get enough of these 5k's, of this runner's high I get coming to the finish line and the feeling right after of accomplishment and success.   It feels so dang good!  If you are on the fence about stepping out and doing something like this, I can't encourage you enough to take the 1st steps and do it.  Just pick up your feet one day and continue the next.  Go out and run one.  If you walk, it isn't the end of the world, actually there are a lot of walkers that participate in 5k's.  There was one lady that introduced herself to us with the biggest smile on her face who planned to walk.  She excitedly explained this was her 1st one and that smile never faded even at the finish line and after.  Inspiring to say the least.  Just keep getting stronger.  The benefit you get out of getting up and getting moving is priceless.  Remember, the 1st time I got back into running I started off with a 5k and that was the 1st time my feet hit the pavement for a run for well over a year.  You CAN do it. 

If you do it, or if you make a change in your life to be more physical and active will you let me know? You can email me or hit me up on Facebook or Twitter.  I would love to hear about it and celebrate with you.  

FYI: The medals?  I won my age group (31 to 35, I think), the tall blonde got second and the red head won her age group. 

So much pride and love for you, Mary and Cherryh.  Until the next one...


1 comment:

  1. This is so so cool to read about T. I read it the other day and it made me want to get out there and smash some 5k fears in the face!!! Way to get out there and inspire!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails